Susan's blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I was able to get into Technorati today (yesterday I couldn't even get that far), and it is interesting to see how many blogs are out there. Not just interesting - amazing that all these people have all this time to write comments about anything that possibly interests them. I can see how some blogs would be good to get a dialogue going, and to find out what people are doing who live far away. But somehow - and maybe my age is showing - to read a bunch of blogs from people I see every day seems a little weird. I have visions of future generations not ever talking face-to-face, but just sitting staring at a screen typing non-stop, unedited outpourings of whatever one is thinking about.

I don't mean to sound like a complete Luddite - I do see some value in seeing what other libraries are doing with this concept of Library 2.0. I also wonder what Library 3.0 will be like, and whether we'll look back at these blogs sort of like I look back on the earliest computer that my then 4th grader lugged home back in the 80s.

I also wonder who has all the time it takes to read through all these blogs. Helene says she spends 9-11 every night reading blogs (Hi, Helene!). Yikes! What about the newspapers, magazines and those old fashioned things called books that I want to read? I realize the 'kids' are reading stuff online, and enjoy reading what others are thinking just like I like to read Newsweek to see what others have to say about current events. Maybe it's not so different. But sitting here typing away does seem awfully self-indulgent. That age thing again....

2 Comments:

  • hi susan:)

    By Blogger HeleneB, at 6:12 PM  

  • I know what you mean about reading books and newspapers instead of whatever you can find on a computer. Until I can "read the computer" while I'm curled up on the sofa with a dog or two beside me, I'm never going to be exactly comfortable spending all evening on the computer. I know people who do, but it makes me feel like some kind of antisocial recluse, even if I am "talking" to friends online.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home